Lynton and Lymouth are beautiful and historical areas of the North Devon coastline. Below are a selection of images from a recent visit.
The Lyn and Exmoor Museum which is housed in the town’s oldest surviving town dwelling. Includes displays such as a traditional Exmoor kitchen, old photographs of life in the area, paintings, engravings, agricultural tools and an exhibit of the Lynmouth Flood Disaster of 1952. (open from Easter until the end of October).
The top landing stage of the Lynton and Lynmouth Cliff Railway. Powered by water, with two cars linked by cable, this funicular railway joins Lynton and Lynmouth and in days gone by, all manner of goods were carried including packhorses, cars, food, coal, etc. Alfie is allowed onboard, providing he behaves himself, which being a terrier, cannot be guaranteed!
The rather dramatically named Valley of the Rocks Hotel, a pure Victorian creation conjuring up all manner of possibilities. Having the original arcaded lounge still in place, the views on the other side of the hotel, across the bay, must be superb. Sadly, not dog friendly I’m afraid.
The view of Lynton and Lynmouth from the east bound coast road up Countisbury Hill.
The twin rails of the funicular railway. It’s a long way down, but an enjoyable trip.
The ever present threat of the airborne pasty pilferers – not a herring to be seen.
Lynmouth quay with the river Lyn flowing alongside. Incidentally, the East Lyn joins the West Lyn about 100m further upstream.
St. Mary’s Church at Lynton proudly flying the St George Cross – a fine sight on a warm summer’s day. Rebuilt in 1741, with a new chancel added in 1869, the 13th century tower still remains. Views from the churchyard are stupendous.
The Rhenish Tower was built to store salt water for indoors baths and is situated on Lynmouth Pier. It was commissioned by General Rawdon and built originally in around circa 1860, although following the flood damage of 1952, was rebuilt as an exact replica of the original. It’s a small machiocolated stone tower which has been built in imitation of look-out towers on the Rhine.